Fuel level sender

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Fuel level sender

Postby Corby202 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 pm

As anyone used a fuel level sender successfully to a MGL panel other then the one Sonex sells??

Thanks
Phil
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Re: Fuel level sender

Postby sonex892 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Gday Phil
Sorry cant help with an alterative sender. I used the sender sonex sells and fortunately I got a good one. I have MGL velocity instruments and find the fuel level indications extremely accurate, the readout is in litres. I calibrated with avgas and nowadays mostly use 98 octane. The level readings don't change when alternating between the different fuels.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 pm

I have a Belite fuel sender (measures fuel weight) and used it with my MGL xtreme. The problem I found was the Belite produces a voltage of 0 to 5 V. The MGL likes 0 to 4V. So when full, the MGL displays ERROR. Once the level goes down below 4V, it reads fine. I also use the MGL calculated fuel level and the Red Cube flow transducer. The levels are very close in flight once I get below the 4V level.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby kevinh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:39 pm

fastj22 wrote:I have a Belite fuel sender (measures fuel weight) and used it with my MGL xtreme. The problem I found was the Belite produces a voltage of 0 to 5 V. The MGL likes 0 to 4V. So when full, the MGL displays ERROR. Once the level goes down below 4V, it reads fine. I also use the MGL calculated fuel level and the Red Cube flow transducer. The levels are very close in flight once I get below the 4V level.

Wow - that sounds like a great idea for a sensor (http://www.beliteaircraft.com/avionics/ ... system.php). How do you like it?

Have you considered using two resistors as a voltage divider to shrink the voltage range to 0-4V? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider )
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby fastj22 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:14 am

I thought of some sort of resistor, but its only an issue when the tank is full. As soon as I burn off a few gallons, it reads fine. The nice thing about it is it compatible with ethanol mo-gas, unlike the capacitance probe it replaced. It also seems susceptible to electrical noise. I was having some issues that would spike the sender voltage at higher RPM. I tried all sorts of shielding, isolation, filtering then the problem just went away. I suspect a dodgy voltage regulator now.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby thomasjones42 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the Belite fuel guages or other instruments?

Tom Jones
Onex #0133
Aerovee Turbo
thomasjones42

Fuel level sender

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:03 pm

HI Tom

Yes. I bought their sender and their universal gauge. Jury is still out as I have had challenges getting it to calibrate in my Sonex. The gauge works but the sensor showed incorrect levels when I first calibrated it.

Their instructions, while good, never mentioned calibrating it in flight attitude. I have a taildragger and originally calibrated it sitting on its tail, so I recalibrated it last Sunday in a level attitude and have not been able to fly since.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
N1517S
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby fastj22 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Belite update.
I had to replace my MGL RDAC because of an unrelated failure which the fuel level sender connects. Recalibrate everything and on the ground its dead on accurate. In flight however it reads low by a few gallons. Upon landing, it reads correctly again. With the old RDAC the sender would freak out at high RPMs. New RDAC is better but still off at high RPMs.
I have the xTreme and use two fuel level measurements, the Belite to verify fuel level on the ground, and a calculated fuel based on flow.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby gammaxy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for the update. I like the idea of the belite fuel level sender. If I ever have problems with my capacitive sender, I might give it a try. It's interesting that it is effected by engine RPMs. Do you have any way of isolating whether it is electrical noise or mechanical? I suspect it is likely to be some ripple from the alternator, but wonder if it could also be caused by mechanical vibration.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:32 pm

gammaxy wrote:Thanks for the update. I like the idea of the belite fuel level sender. If I ever have problems with my capacitive sender, I might give it a try. It's interesting that it is effected by engine RPMs. Do you have any way of isolating whether it is electrical noise or mechanical? I suspect it is likely to be some ripple from the alternator, but wonder if it could also be caused by mechanical vibration.

I'm pretty sure its electrical noise. A combination of the noisy Jabiru alternator/regulator and the buggy MGL RDAC. But I suppose it could be vibration related, really hard to isolate that.

John Gillis
fastj22

Next

Return to Avionics and Instruments