Trim, flap, and fuel indicators AEM style

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Trim, flap, and fuel indicators AEM style

Postby WaiexB22 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:59 pm

I am running an AEM ECU for my engine. I am working with Bryan Dacus with BD turnkey out of Reno, NV to get this built, programmed, and tuned. There is a panel mounted display that provides my engine information including, RPM, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, water pressure, EGT on each cylinder, fuel pressure, AFR info, and much more related directly to the engine. One of the cool things about this system is that it can accept a variety of configurable inputs through a can bus module. I am going to integrate the following inputs to the system for display on the panel:

1. Flap position - There is a resistive output from the sonex provided actuator that will integrate directly. (If anyone has taken readings on the actuator vs. flap position on the actuator provided with the TSB for the b-model I would be very interested)

2. Fuel level - I have the sonex resistance level probe. This will feed in just like the flap position. I have the resistance vs. fuel levels for the a-model, but can't seem to find the for the b-model. Can anyone point me to these.

3. Trim position indicator - This one is a little more fun. The linear travel on the dial-a-trim block is approximately 4.75 inches. I bought a 5 inch suspension travel sensor. It is a lightweight, robust, linear potentiometer that was recommended to me for this purpose. It is long, so my plan is to run a second cable from the dial-a-trim to the actuator, which I will remote mount. There is almost no resistance on the sensor, but I will need a really light spring to tension the cable.

I will document my efforts here and hopefully it will help someone else.

BD turnkey: https://bdturnkeyengines.com/yamaha-apex

The sensor I bought: https://thesensorconnection.com/product ... ter?v=3003

Below is a working layout of the primary display. You have another series of screens that give you basically anything you want to dig for related to the engine. You can see flap position (F) and trim position (T) on the right. Fuel level is the green bar at the bottom.

IMG_1298.PNG
IMG_1298.PNG (101.75 KiB) Viewed 217 times

The sensor next to the trim dial is below:

IMG_1291.jpg
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Return to Avionics and Instruments